Here we are, back for another round of #IronQuest! This will be the last #IronQuest for 2019 but we’ll be back in 2020 with plenty more exciting topics to viz.
I had the honour of speaking about #IronQuest at the Tableau Conference in Las Vegas last week. Thank you to everyone who attended my lightening talk! If you missed it, you can watch it back on YouTube here. You can also view the slides I presented here.
It was fantastic to share the #IronQuest story with you all and it was particularly great to have #IronQuest regulars including Meera Umasankar, Kevin Flerlage, Kate Schaub, Michelle Frayman and others in the crowd.
During my talk I asked the audience to vote for the next #IronQuest topic using a list of potential topics I had gathered from my #IronQuest Braindate the previous day.
46 of you voted and I’m happy to announce we’ll be vizzing ‘Food & Drink‘ in this round!
Where can I find some data?
As always, you can visualise any dataset somewhat related to the topic. Here are a few potential data sources to get you started but it is by no means an extensive list.
How can I enter #IronQuest?
The process is simple:
- Source your data and build a viz that somehow touches upon the chosen theme for the month. Remember the Iron Viz judging criteria and try to focus on all three in your work; Design, Storytelling and Analysis.
- Upload your viz to Tableau Public or somewhere where it can be openly viewed online.
- Fill in the submissions tracker (at the bottom of this post) so we can keep track of who is participating. This step is essential if you want feedback from us or would like to be credited in the wrap-up blog post or participation viz (coming soon).
- If you opted in for feedback in step 3, the guest judge and myself will provide constructive feedback on your viz after the submission period closes.
- You can use any data set which fits the theme (as long as you have permission to share it publicly).
- Always remember to credit your data source/s on your viz.
- Refrain from using any images or logos on your viz unless you have permission to do so.
- Think outside the box! Be creative and have fun!
Who is my guest judge?
I’m excited to announce that once again I’ll be teaming up with Tableau Public Ambassador, winner of the 2019 Michael W. Cristiani Community Leader Vizzie and one half of the “Tableau Twins”, Kevin Flerlage this month!
Kevin works as a Senior Analyst & Tableau Developer at Unifund, based in Cincinati. He is a co-leader of the Cincy TUG and blogs at kevinflerlage.com.
When is the submission deadline?
The deadline for submissions is Midnight PST on Thursday 2nd January 2020. I’m extending the submission window this time since this round coincides with the holiday season. Feedback will be provided (to those who request it) by Kevin and I in early January.
Continue the conversation and connect with other participants by joining the Iron Quest Slack channel here. Also, be sure to follow the #IronQuest hashtag on Twitter and LinkedIn too.
Thanks for reading and I look forward to seeing your entry!
Don’t forget to submit your entry using the form below.